Thumb_grening David Grening , Belmont Park , 10/17/2019 - DRF Live Posted : Oct 17, 2019, 10:17 AM

Forecast calling for high winds prompts Belmont cancellation

A forecast that called call for high winds, with gusts surpassing 50-miles-per-hour at times, prompted New York Racing Association officials to cancel Thursday's eight-race card at Belmont Park.

The winds were the second part of a storm that brought more than an inch of rain to Long Island on Thursday. There were five turf races scheduled for Thursday's card.

Some of Thursday's races will be brought back as extras for future cards.

Live racing is expected to resume Friday with an eight-race card beginning at 1:15 p.m.

Stay Updated with DRF Morning Line

Free Race-of-the-Day video analysis & PPs,DRF Bets Gameplan Play-of-the-Day, all the latest racing news and more.

Download DRF Bets on your smartphone
© Daily Racing Form. All rights reserved.
Morning-line We need just a few pieces of information and you'll begin receiving our newsletter, right to your inbox!

Thank you for registering!

We're glad to have you on board. You'll begin receiving our newsletter upon the next scheduled delivery date. If you do not receive your first newsletter in the next 7 days, please contact our customer service team at cservice@drf.com.